Friday, January 16, 2015

God's "help" is not enough!

"We do not have sufficient strength on our own; 
all our sufficiency is from God. 
In His strength we must go forth and go on. 
We must call in grace and help from heaven 
to enable us to do what we cannot do alone." 
                                                             ~~Matthew Henry

I posted this quote earlier this week.
And I have spent the week experiencing God's sufficiency,
for I surely do not have sufficient strength on my own.

I have always been proud of my strength.
I have survived some pretty horrendous things in my life.
I have not only survived, I have thrived!
I have lived a life that most people with my background do not.
I have said to myself,
"Self, you will overcome! You will show them! You will be better!"
And I have been.
With God's help.

But the last nearly three years have grown increasingly difficult.
I have not been able to convince myself that I would overcome.
And I have not overcome.
And you know what I am discovering?
I'm not supposed to!
God's "help" is not enough!
Only GOD is enough!

I'm not supposed to be strong!
God is strong!
I'm not supposed to overcome!
God overcomes!
I'm not supposed to make a way!
God makes a way!
Only He is sufficient!
Only He!

And what a relief it is to know I don't have to do it!





The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in Him,
and He helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
and with my song I praise Him.

                                                                 ~~ Psalm28:7 NIV ~~


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.