Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year!

 Those of you who listen to K-Love Radio have heard the on-air personalities talking about New Year's resolutions. We make them, we break them. Only a very small percentage of New Year's resolutions are kept. This year, the DJ's suggest, why make them? Rather, ask God to give you a word and focus on that word every day. SOOO in line with what God has been saying to me over the last several months! And the word He has been speaking to me is joy. Specifically choosing joy!

I love this quote! 
"Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day." 
~~ Henri J. M. Nouwen ~~
It's a fact! Joy does not just happen! Oh yes, there are those occasions. You know them! Opening the perfect gift! Just what you wanted! The phone call you prayed for came - and it went just as you hoped! Those moments of intense happiness. But that is not true joy! I heard another quote a while back, "Happiness is in happenings, joy is in Jesus." and another, "Happiness is something you stumble on while going through life, joy is what you find when specifically seeking God's peace." And God has been pushing me toward this attitude!


Choosing joy does not mean the end of sorrow and grief. It does not mean perfection in all that touches us or all that we touch. It does not mean no more tears, no more pain. We live on a fallen, imperfect earth where satan and his minions wreak havoc each and every day! Bad things happen! And they hurt! And choosing joy does not change that! Rather, choosing joy changes our hearts and our level of peace. 
 ~~~~~
Choosing joy does not change our circumstances. Choosing joy - wait for it - choosing joy changes US!!!


So this is my "word" for 2015: JOY!!! Today, I choose joy! Today, I choose to focus on what God has given, not what He has denied. Today I choose to focus on His gifts to me - and to all of us - not on the sorrows that happen in life. Today I choose to see beyond the clouds to the beautiful silver lining given by the "Son". Today, I choose to look at the storms and see the beauty in the power of the wind, the crash of the thunder, the flash of the lightening. Today, I choose not to stumble through life looking for happiness. Today, I choose joy!



You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine.
~~ Psalm 4:7 NLT ~~

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; 
let them ever sing for joy
Spread your protection over them, 
that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
~~ Psalm 5:11 NIV ~~

I will be filled with joy because of you. 
I will sing praises to your name, 
O Most High. 
~~ Psalm 9:2 NLT ~~

You make known to me the path of life; 
you will fill me with joy in your presence, 
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
~~ Psalm 15:11 NIV ~~

You will show me the way of life, 
granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.
~~ Psalm 16:11 NLT ~~

Then I will hold my head high above my enemies who surround me. 
At his sanctuary I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy
singing and praising the Lord with music.
 ~~ Psalm 27:6 NLT ~~

The Lord is my strength and my shield; 
my heart trusts in him, 
and he helps me. 
My heart leaps for joy
and with my song I praise him.
 ~~ Psalm 28:7 NIV ~~
[My 2015 theme verse!]

There I will go to the altar of God, 
to God—the source of all my joy
I will praise you with my harp, O God, my God!
~~ Psalm 43:4 NLT ~~

Oh, give me back my joy again; 
you have broken me— now let me rejoice...
Restore to me the joy of your salvation, 
and make me willing to obey you.
~~ Psalm 51:8,12 NLT ~~

But as for me, I will sing about your power. 
Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love. 
For you have been my refuge, 
a place of safety when I am in distress. 
~~ Psalm 59:16 NLT ~~

You satisfy me more than the richest feast. 
I will praise you with songs of joy.
~~ Psalm 63:5 NLT ~~

Shout for joy to God, all the earth!
~~ Psalm 66:1 NIV ~~ 

But let the godly rejoice. 
Let them be glad in God’s presence. 
Let them be filled with joy.
Psalm 68:3 NLT ~~

My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you — I whom you have delivered.
~~ Psalm 71:23 NIV ~~

O Lord of Heaven’s Armies, 
what joy for those who trust in you.
~~ Psalm 84:12 NLT ~~

Bring joy to your servant, Lord, for I put my trust in you.
~~ Psalm 86:4 NIV ~~

Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord
let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. 
~~ Psalm 95:1 NIV ~~

As pressure and stress bear down on me, 
I find joy in your commands.
~~ Psalm 119:43 NLT ~~

We were filled with laughter, 
and we sang for joy
And the other nations said, 
“What amazing things the Lord has done for them.”
~~ Psalm 126:2 NLT ~~

And my prayer for each of you this year:

But may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness in you. 
May those who love your salvation repeatedly shout, “The Lord is great!”
~~ Psalm 40:16 NLT ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.