Sunday, January 18, 2015

Faith

I've been thinking about Peter today.
In many ways, I am very like him.
For example, he was impulsive.
I am impulsive.
Sometimes that works well.
Sometimes it doesn't.

For Peter, there was a time when it worked out well.
When he didn't "think about it".
He didn't weigh the pros and cons.
He didn't measure the risk.
He just did it.
Impulsively.

"Step out of the boat, Peter."
And impulsively, and in complete faith, he stepped.
And there he was.
Walking on water!

And then he thought about it.
He weighed the pros and cons.
He measured the risk.
And he sank like a rock!

Peter's first instinct was trust!
Faith!
And he was right!
It wasn't until intelligent thought,
the obvious flaw in his action,
overtook him that he sank.

But, praise God, it wasn't too late!
Still, Jesus saved him!
And together,
hand-in-hand,
they walked on water back to the boat.

I don't know if my impulsive instinct was right
or if the intelligent thought,
the obvious evidence was right.
I just know that drowning is not an option!
Because Jesus is walking me back to the boat!


The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in Him,
and He helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
and with my song I praise Him.

                                                                 ~~ Psalm28:7 NIV ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.