Saturday, December 6, 2014

Peace in Jesus

You may remember about a month ago I met a man whose vocal quality and accent reminded me of Harlan. We made a date for the symphony but did not go, rather, I went with my grandson. Well, yesterday, my boss and I had a business lunch with this gentleman. I found myself mesmerized by the sound of his voice and had to keep forcing myself back to business.

He mentioned that he was half Australian. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. That explains the exact same accent and inflections in his words, not quite French, not quite Belgian, but very close to one or the other. Both grew up within a few miles of each other, one on the French side, one on the Belgian side of the border.

As with most business lunches, we visited socially for a bit before and after "getting down to business". I continued to be amazed by the similarities in tastes, interests, and beliefs between the two of them beyond cultural similarities. There were times when, if I hadn't been looking at him, for they are not physically similar, I would have sworn it was Harlan.

Of course, my dreams were filled with Harlan last night and I wakened this morning with loneliness and longing fully intact. Then, of course, I felt guilty because I dreamed of him rather than Al. I kind of miss the "Allan Nickael" apparition - he just left me feeling content........

Then, you may remember that I decorated last weekend. I was undecided about whether or not to use last year's dated ornament. I finally decided yes because last year is a part of my life, part of who I am, have become. So I hung it on my small tabletop tree in my bedroom. Toward the back so I didn't have to look at it constantly, but knew it was there. I know, I'm a strange duck. Thursday morning, Gabe, who thinks the Christmas trees are for his benefit, knocked that one over. Yep, you guessed it. That ornament broke. It was the only one that did. And I was heartbroken and more than a little peeved at Gabe!

 But as I was picking up the pieces of that shattered ornament, tears streaming down my face, I thought that it was somehow appropriate. The shattered ornament commemorating the shattered relationship. So I put the pieces back in the little velvet box, and put it in the bin with the other precious ornaments that have gotten broken over the years. I know, I'm a strange duck.

Also on Thursday morning, I sustained a very minor injury, a tiny little knick, on my leg. Yesterday, it hurt like the dickens. This morning it was very swollen, deep red, and painful. Really? I knew I should have quit shaving! Who am I trying to impress? Anyway, I've doctored it and will continue to do so and it will be fine. 

There have have been several other incidents that had potential to throw me into a funk this week. But you may remember that last Sunday, I had a "Thanksgiving Miracle". And peace flooded over me. And I'm happy to report that, despite the enemy's attempts at discouragement this week, the Peace of Jesus is still living in me! I have found myself smiling, humming, singing often throughout the week. I have renewed energy. I have stopped crying. Other than when reading the post of a fellow widow and the blog of another fellow widow this morning, I have not wept all week!

God is faithful! Praise His Holy Name!

And the peace of God,
which surpasses all comprehension,
shall guard your hearts and your minds
in Christ Jesus.
                               ~~ Philippians 4:7 NASV ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.