Sunday, December 21, 2014

Marveling, Part II

Today,
my baby girl is 37.
Now, 
how that happened when I myself only turned 37 on my last birthday, 
I'm not sure, 
but I digress.

My precious baby, 
my sweet little angel girl,
the apple of her daddy's eye,
all grown up to a lovely woman.


How blessed I am that God chose me to be her mother!!!


I think of Mary 
and how honored she must have felt
being chosen to be the mother of 
Christ Jesus, Saviour of the world,
and I understand a bit.

Oh, my baby was not the Messiah!
Trust me on this!
Her teen years bear that out!
But, again, I digress....

No, she was not destined for greatness.
She would not save the world.
But she would certainly touch it!
For the good!

Let me tell you some things.

My sweet toddler running to me in tears
because the other children on the playground
wouldn't listen to her tell them about Jesus.



My adorable elementary school child
asking if we could buy something for
her friend for Christmas instead of another
gift for her because her friend was poor.
It was the only year she and her sister
didn't have the same number of gifts under the tree.
She had one less.




My sassy teenager
giggling with delight
the year we were having our 
mommy/daughter skip day
and saw a teacher at the mall.
(Yes, sometimes I was a bad influence...)

The precious young woman,
out on her own,
telling her sister not to be in such a hurry
and that mom and dad weren't as dumb as they thought.
(A very satisfying, overheard conversation!)


The tender woman,
grieving herself,
who took mama in hand when daddy died,
and made sure she survived.

And who, a few months later,
rejoiced with her in new-found love.

And a few months after that,
carried her again through sorrow
at yet another loss,
never criticizing,
never belittling,
always supporting.

No, she was not destined for greatness
in the world's eyes.
But she is great!
For she is exactly what God created her to be...

...an excellent wife,
one of the two best momma's I know,
a daughter extraordinaire,
this remarkable woman is my child.

And I marvel at God's wonderful gift to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.