Sunday, December 14, 2014

Christian Snobbery

He came shuffling up the aisle.
Homeless by his look and smell.
We were in our time of "greeting one another in The Lord".

No one touched him.
No one offered their hand.
I saw a couple people nod at him as he walked by.
That was it.
I watched as we began returning to our seats.
He looked for a spot.
People scooted to the end of the pew.
After all, he was dirty.
He smelled bad.
The service was just starting.
As he approached me, I recognized it.
Loneliness.
Longing.
Yearning to be loved.
To love in return.
I extended my hand to him.
He took mine in both of his.
He looked me in the eye and said it.
"Thank you."
I patted the seat next to me.
He said "I can sit by you?"
I smiled and nodded my head.
He sat.
He reached for my hand.
And for a moment, we sat together, holding hands.

Together, we watched the children's Christmas program.
I could feel him watching me from time-to-time.
I looked at him and smiled.
There was gratitude in his eyes.

We watched the living nativity with sweet little Mary and Joseph.
I watched Mary place the Baby Jesus in the manger.
And I wondered what Jesus,
who sacrificed everything for us,
thought of His church this morning.

I am very romantically affectionate, with my family, and a few close friends.
I am uncomfortable hugging and touching others, particularly men.
But today, I hugged that smelly man.
I suspect it was his first in quite a while.

May God forgive us our snobbery!
May we never forget why He came and for whom -
ALL mankind!
And may we always be His Face, His Hand, His Arms,
may we be Jesus to those who may be unable to see Him any other way!



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.