Monday, December 8, 2014

Wondering

I am wondering this evening.

Sometimes I just wish I knew, you know? Sometimes I just wish God would write on my wall! Clearly, in good ol' American English.But that's just not the way it works. And so I practice faith. And trust. And turning loose. And I wonder if God ever grows weary of our need to know.

As I was driving home this evening, I was talking to God about my broken heart. And I was wondering if Jesus ever suffered from a broken heart romantically. Certainly He did in all other ways. Certainly He grieved over the deaths of His loved ones. Certainly His heart was broken over the broken promises people made to Him. Certainly He experienced the betrayal of people He trusted. But I wonder about romance. The Bible does not ever address that. I think that's because we tend to think of romantic love and sex as synonyms, which, of course, they are not, and we tend to think of sex as dirty, which, of course, within the bounds of marriage, it is not.

I think that He did suffer from a broken heart romantically. I think some cute little Jewess probably caught His eye at some point. I think He probably fell in love. Maybe He married, maybe He didn't, the Bible doesn't say, but it does say that He experienced all the sorrows and temptations we do. So, yes, I think Jesus fully understands my broken heart.

That made me sorry. That He willingly put Himself in line for disappointment, heartache, betrayal, doubt of those He loved, self-doubt,loss of all kinds, torture, why, the very trauma of birth for birth is not just hard on the momma, it is hard on the baby. He did that willingly! Isn't that amazing!?! Willingly! Knowingly! For you and for me!

It turns my wondering into wonder!


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.