Sunday, November 2, 2014

Not the race for which I trained

I am not feeling well and did not go to church this morning. When I stay home for whatever reason, I watch Polk Street United Methodist Church on TV. This morning was no exception.

This morning's sermon was, as always, interesting, thought provoking, and applicable to the lives of those striving to serve Christ. Pastor Burt Palmer spoke about service to the King of Kings and the impact we have individually on those around us. At the very end, he said something that really struck me.

Georgine Johnson was a runner. She had prepared to run a 10K. Also in the race were marathon runners. Georgine mistakenly got in with the marathon runners rather than the 10K group. She realized about 4 miles in that she was with the wrong group. She considered going back. Even tried to get a ride but was unable to and so, went on to finish the marathon in just over four hours. Later, she said, 

As I was going along,
I reminded myself,
this isn't the race I trained for,
this isn't the race I entered,
but for better or worse,
this is the race I'm in.

Wow!

Now, I will admit that this was not the intended lesson of the sermon. 
But this is what I took from it:

I am in a race for which I did not prepare.

One I did not want to run.

One I did not enter.

I will admit to having reminded God that I trained for something quite different.

I will admit to having asked Him why I have been thrust into this marathon.

I will admit to telling Him I am not happy about being in a race for which I did not plan.

And I will tell you that He has listened.

He has said, "Yes, my child, I know."

And He has said,
"But this is the race I want you to run."

And so, I am in a marathon.

And I have the very, very best pacer!

For the Holy Spirit runs beside me!
In front of me!
Behind me!
Sometimes He carries me!
But He is ALWAYS with me!

And I will finish the marathon because He has placed me in this race.

And He will get me through!

Praise God! May He find me faithful!

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge
crowd of witnesses to the life of faith,
let us strip off every weight that slows us down,
especially the sin that so easily trips us up.
And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.
                                            ~~ Hebrews 12:1 NLT ~~

 

1 comment:

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.