Monday, February 9, 2015

Blessings

This has been a tough winter!
Emotionally and physically.
They are likely tied to one another.
My sore throat has become a full-blown illness.
No voice.
Runny nose.
Stuffy head.
Deep cough.
Sneezing.
Watery eyes.
And lots of, ahem, self-sympathy.
Yeah, that's it, sympathy. . . .
I am home sick.
Again.

So, my Thera-flu brain is going to try to blog.
Should be interesting. . . .

I've been thinking about Joy.
Not the joy in my life and heart.
My very best friend from high school, Joy.

She knew almost everything about me.
What I didn't tell, I think she sensed.
We shared hopes, dreams, secrets -
lots and lots of secrets.
We skipped school together our senior year.
(I got caught, she didn't)
We both had a crush on the same boy
in our English class our sophomore year.
He didn't give either one of us a second glance -
which was really okay since we both had boyfriends.

We were very different.
She was tiny and petite.
Italian, she had long, luxurious, dark hair,
and a beautiful olive complexion
that tanned beautifully.
I was taller by about 3 inches,
large boned,
fair skinned,
fine, light hair.
Her home-life was happy and secure.
Mine was - not.
But all our differences didn't matter.
We became women together.
She was my very, very best friend.
And I loved her!

As often happens,
we drifted apart after graduation,
lost touch.
But a few years ago, we found each other again.
I was so excited!
We have remained in contact through Facebook.

Joy has a daughter, Sara.
A year before my Al died,
Sara's Scott died as a result of his service in Afghanastan.
(Thank a vet and their family! They sacrifice for you and me!)
And Sara and I became Facebook friends.
She is nearly 30 years younger than I.
All those years ago,
little did I know that the child
of the woman who walked with me as I became a woman
would one day help teach me how to be a widow.

Sara commented the other day that
she and Joy were talking about me
and Joy commented,
"She used to be my best friend. . . now she's yours."

What a privilege to have been
given these two Italian beauties
as friends,
each helping me walk through
the two toughest times of my life!

So today, instead of thinking about how bad I feel,
instead of thinking about how much I've lost,
instead of feeling sorry for myself,
I am choosing joy!
That kind that lives in your heart and life!
I am thinking about my many, many blessings!

Thank you, God, for Joy and Sara!
The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in Him,
and He helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
and with my song I praise Him.

                                                ~~ Psalm28:7 NIV ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.