Sunday, March 29, 2015

Symphony and secrets

My Lanny Love and I went to the symphony last night.
Dinner at my place -
the roast was tasty, but tough, sigh..... -
lovely music,
and the very best company,
made for a lovely evening.

Now something you should know about my Lanny Love before I proceed
is that he is also widowed.
And that is significant to the story I'm going to tell.

I have an acquaintance that I always run into at the symphony.
She is a lovely woman,
but very chatty,
and a gossip.
So, I knew that showing up with my Lanny Love
would result in mutual friends knowing I had a date to the symphony.
I know this from experience!
So, I asked Lanny if he knew her.
He didn't think he did.

Now, there is an odd thing about dating as a widow or widower.
Well, there are lots and lots of odd things,
but I digress.
Anyway, this odd thing is people's reaction -
and by people, I mean everyone you know,
some you don't know,
and even yourself!

Most of the reactions fall into one of three categories:
"It's about time!!!"
"Already???"
"You couldn't have really loved him/her!"

In addition, almost 100% fall into the common category
"You're finally over him/her and done grieving!"

And then there's the reaction of the widowed themselves.
It's uncomfortable.
I feels a little like cheating when you first begin.
And sometimes after.
And you wonder if it's too soon.
Or if it's been too long.
Or if it's disrespectful to your love.
Or if they would mind.
Of if you will mind.

So, get two widowed individuals together,
let them start dating,
let them fall in love,
and out of the woodwork come reactions
from everywhere!

We have talked about going to church together -
we don't currently attend the same church -
but decided laying some groundwork first
was a good idea for our children's sake
since, not only will it take away
our own anonymity about dating,
it will take their's as well.

So, I asked if he knew my friend.
He didn't.
But he did know the four couples from his church
that we ran into.

So much for anonymity.
Let the reactions begin!




The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in Him,
and He helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
and with my song I praise Him.

                                                                 ~~ Psalm28:7 NIV ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.