Friday, April 3, 2015

Lent

I am not Catholic.
However, for a number of years,
I have observed Lent,
that sacrificial time beginning on Ash Wednesday
and ending on Easter.
I started doing it when a teenage girl
in a youth group I led
challenged me to try it.
That Easter season was more meaningful
to me than ever before
and so I have continued the practice.

Each year, depending upon what I've given up
and its physically addictive properties,
I do well the first few days.
I think about it some,
am aware when I start to do it,
contemplate Christ's sacrifice,
whisper a prayer,
and move on.

Along about the second week,
it gets a little harder.
I stop feeling noble.
I start wanting what I gave up.
This year, a friend who also observes Lent,
said when he was complaining about how hard it was once,
a friend of his commented,
"Is it as hard as dying on a cross?"
Kind of puts it in perspective.

Then along about week three,
I start doing well again.
I'm getting used to not having whatever I've sacrificed,
it's a little easier not to really think about it,
a little easier to say "no".

But then along about day 34 or 35,
I begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I begin to think about Easter Sunday
when I can have "it" again.

And six days before Easter,
I really begin to fight temptation.

Lent is 40 days.
But there are 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter.
That's because it was against the law
to sacrifice on the Sabbath in the days before Christ.
So, during Lent, one can imbibe on Sunday (our Sabbath).
There are six Sundays during Lent.
I don't imbibe on Sundays.
So six days out, I start thinking,
"Technically, I've fulfilled my commitment...."
Isn't it funny that we're always looking for the loopholes?
A way to not have to be obedient to something God has commanded
or asked of us?

I always think about that last week of Jesus' life
during these last six days of Lent.

Sunday.
Adulation.

     Monday.
     Teaching.
     Prayer.
     Preparation.
     Dread.

          Tuesday.
          Teaching.
          Prayer.
          Preparation.
          Dread.

               Wednesday.
               Teaching.
               Prayer.
               Preparation.
               Dread.

                   Thursday.
                   Passover.
                   First Communion.
                   Judas.
                   Prayer.
                   Preparation.
                   Dread.

                        Friday.
                        Prayer.
                        Arrest.
                        Trial.
                        Torture
                        Crucifixion.
                        Death.

And I always ask myself,
"What if Jesus had looked for a loophole?"

I'm so glad he didn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.