Sunday, April 12, 2015

Happy birthday to me!

Yesterday was my birthday.
It was a lovely day!
I had breakfast with my girls, son-in-law, and grandkids,
did a little shopping,
then dinner and Les Miserables
with my Lanny Love in the evening.
It was lovely!

Birthdays are one of those things that I'm a little strange about.
Most people in my age group -
I'm in my late 50's -
don't celebrate birthdays anymore.
I do!!!
I figure ignoring it isn't going to stop the aging,
I may as well have the fun!
So I have birthdays.

This year's birthday was different.
It was the first "happy" birthday I've had in several years,
since before Al's diagnosis, death, and Harlan.
The first where the smiles weren't forced.
The first where I didn't work hard at having fun.
The first where grief and sorrow didn't consume me.
And it felt wonderful!

At the same time,
I am frightened.
I have been hurt.
And I am afraid of the pain now.
I suppose that edge always will be there.
But I am so grateful to discover that I can be genuinely happy again!
Even if only for a day.

Here's to overcoming fear
and many more happy days ahead!



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.