Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Camaros and other fantasies

I want a Camaro. A lot. Almost obsessively. For a completely ridiculous - and deeply personal - reason. Had made the decision to purchase one in the next few months. I wanted a black one but had decided that the Texas Panhandle is just too hot for a black car. So I decided on the limited edition Magenta. Convertible. Girly but still sporty.

Then yesterday I test drove one.



Oh!
My!
Goodness!


It was like crawling into a coffin and closing the lid on myself! That car, sexy and sleek on the outside, is dark and close on the inside! The windows - even the windshield - are tiny! The blind spots are, well, everywhere!!! Once I closed the door, I could no longer see the outside world except for a little, bitty sliver! It was not comfortable. Did not have the power I anticipated (I wouldn't have gotten in near as much trouble with a Camaro as I thought...). And I could not wait to get out of it!

Turns out the car I thought I so desperately wanted, was not what I wanted at all!

Today, I was idly thinking about something else that I want. Even more than I wanted that Camaro. Far, far more. And suddenly I could picture getting it. And my tummy flipped, my heart rate increased, my breathing became more shallow. It was just a brief moment of intense excitement that passed in just a couple seconds, but left me smiling for a bit.

Then I thought about the Camaro. And I couldn't help but wonder. If this other thing I so want would be as I picture it if God allowed me to have it or would it be a disappointment.

It happens. From something as small as craving a particular food and finding it doesn't satisfy to a different car or job or home or whatever. We think we want something only to discover it wasn't really what we wanted after all. 

Something to ponder........

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.