Saturday, October 18, 2014

Symphony and self-pity

I went to the symphony unaccompanied last night.

First time ever.

I was already feeling a little sorry for myself.

 Then, first up was "Flowers of Our Lost Romance" from "Coast of Dreams".

A beautiful piece.
Poignant.
Moving.
Self-pity increasing.

And I allowed it to spoil the rest of the evening.

With full-blown feeling sorry for myself.

Despite all the wonderful things that have happened to me in the last couple weeks.

Did you catch that?

I ALLOWED it to spoil the rest of the evening.

I could have CHOSEN to appreciate the wonderful music.

Instead, I

CHOSE

To be miserable.

How foolish!

Misery is never a good choice!

Yes. I was unaccompanied.

But I was not alone!

My closest female friend was right there!

I was surrounded by ethereal sounds!

And I missed the fullness of the evening!

There will never be another chance to appreciate that experience.

And I missed it!

Because I CHOSE to do so.

And I LET it carry me through much of my day today.

The Bible warns against self-pity!

It directs us to give thanks in all circumstances.

Can't feel sorry for yourself when doing so.

I think that may be one of the reasons God gave that directive.

So, this afternoon, I cleaned house.

I made myself a lovely dinner.

I thanked God for all the blessings He has bestowed!

And I feel much more content this evening.

Go figure.......





No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.