Thursday, September 4, 2014

Feeling safe

I didn't realize until this morning that I have not felt safe in a very long time. Even before Al's diagnosis, we knew something was wrong, had known for a couple years. So for about five years I've been in a perpetual state of waiting for the other shoe to drop.


And it has. 
 Repeatedly.

And I haven't felt safe.

Even before that, life was difficult. 

I didn't feel safe. 

Ever. 

Unless Al was holding me. 

And now I don't have even that.


This morning, my devotional from "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young addressed safety.


               In closeness to Him I am safe. 
                              No matter where I am, I belong when He is near. 
                                             Together, He and I can push back the darkness.

What an amazing promise! Safe! Belonging! In His light!

When the world is dark and lonely and frightening, He is the light! When things go wrong, I am safe in His loving care! Does that mean bad things won't happen? No! For satan through Adam and Eve ushered bad things into the world and we are all affected. But does it mean I am safe? Yes!

Spiritually safe!

Not only that, but when I walk in the light with Him, I can be assured that nothing happens to me that is outside of His will! How much safer can a person be than in the will of God!

Safe in His Will!

Another revelation this morning. When bad things happen, when my heart is breaking, when it feels like the darkness is overwhelming and I cannot go on - I am privileged to be even more like Jesus who suffered for my sake, for your sake! 

Wow!  
More like Jesus in suffering! 
Like Jesus!

I am safe! Praise God! 

"For you are my hiding place;
You protect me from trouble.
You surround me with songs of Victory.

The Lord says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.
I will advise you and watch over you."

...Unfailing love surrounds those who trust the Lord..

...We depend on the Lord alone to save us.
Only he can help us, protecting us like a shield.
In him our hearts rejoice,
for we are trusting in his holy name.
Let your unfailing love surround us, Lord,
for our hope is in you alone."

                                                   ~~ Psalm 32:7-8, 10; 33:20-22 NLT~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.