Friday, May 1, 2015

Meetin' the parents

Not well written
and more than a bit gushy,
but, hey,
I'm 58 going on 18!

I am on the downward side of middle age.
some businesses already, foolishly, consider me a senior citizen.
but I don't feel middle aged!
And I certainly don't feel like a senior citizen!
I more often than not lately, feel 18!
Last night was no exception!

I met my Lanny Love's parents last night.
Now at my age, "meeting the parents" is not all that normal.
Also at my age, I am pretty comfortable with who I am.
I no longer waste a lot of energy stressing over being liked.
Until recently.

First up was my Lanny Love.
I liked him so much on paper!
And when it was time for our first date,
I really wanted to like him as much in person.
And I did!
So when it was time for our second date,
I was really nervous!
Because I really, really, really wanted him to like me a lot!
And he did!

Next up, his children.
I have only met one of the three,
the only one who lives locally.
The first meeting was by chance -
we were at the same event -
and I liked his daughter immediately!
She was warm and friendly and kind.
Our meeting was brief -
just an introduction, a handshake, and checking me out.
A few weeks later,
my Lanny Love asked if I'd like to join him and his daughter for lunch.
I liked.

Now, as I have commented before,
adult children of the widowed can make
the transition to a new relationship much easier -
or much, much more difficult!
It had been very important to me the week before
that my children like him -
and they did -
and I knew it was important to him that his like me.
So, it was very important to me that in this second meeting,
where who I am not just what I look like would be revealed,
I win her approval.
And, for the second time in recent months,
I was nervous.
Very!
And I really, really wanted to be liked!

Then, last week,
my Lanny Love said,
"My parents will be here Thursday night.
I'd like them to meet you.
Can you have dinner?"
Meeting the parents???
Of course I could have dinner!
And the butterflies began!
This was big!
HUGE!
Parents!
Mama!
And, his daughter would be there.
Our third encounter,
this one in her mother's home.
By yesterday morning,
the handful of butterflies had become legions of them
and had been joined by drummers and cymbal players
using the inside of my skull as instruments!

I had begun thinking about what to wear
the moment my Lanny Love invited me to meet them!
It had to be something that would make mama say,
"Nice girl. I approve."
and yet make daddy say,
"Hang on to that one, son!"
You know, conservative but not dowdy!
I redid my nails using a nice, conservative,
all the same color, polish.
No accent nails!
No funky designs!
I spent an inordinate amount of time on my hair - twice -
and decided up was best since down after a long work day
isn't always good.

I anticipated being the last to arrive.
I was first.
The Lord knew I needed those few minutes
to breath in my Lanny Love,
get a hug and a kiss,
and be reminded that the most important one already likes me!
A lot!

His parents and his daughter and her boyfriend arrived at the same time.
Introductions, handshakes, and hugs were exchanged.
They checked me out.
I sensed reserved, initial approval.
We all helped with the dinner preparations.
We visited.
"How was your drive up?"
"This looks delicious!"
"Are you looking forward to your grandson's wedding?"
You know, small talk.
Chit-chat.

We grilled chicken outside.
I made a salad.
His daughter made a wonderful fruit salad for desert.
After dinner, we lit the fire pit
and sat around the fire looking at stars and visiting for a couple hours.

And then I felt it.
From all of them.
As they watched My Lanny Love and I interact,
I could feel a shift.
The reserve lifted.
The "wait and see" became,
"look at them!"
His parents liked Lanny with me.
And that made me just fine with them.
And, as I turned my eyes away from my Lanny Love at one point,
I saw his daughter watching me watching him.
And she smiled.
And I knew.
It was okay.

So here I am,
58 going on 18.
Madly, passionately, completely in love.
Wildly infatuated.
And grateful to God for my Lanny Love,
for the love we share,
for the apparent blessings of our families so far,
and for bringing me out of the dark
and into the light!


The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in Him,
and He helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
and with my song I praise Him.

                                                                 ~~ Psalm28:7 NIV ~~

1 comment:

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.