Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Walking into the wind

I listen to Pastor Allan Stanglin, Central Church of Christ,
after my time with the Lord
and while I am getting ready for work in the mornings.
This morning's edition talks about spiritual growth
in times of not only hardship, but ease.
04.12.12 - Transition times. Crisis moments. Life change. Our God uses these times to shape us more into his holy image. He’ll use the four zones to do it --- that’s the “how.” But these transition times are usually a big part of God’s “when.”
This evening, I debated whether or not to walk outside.
It was chilly.
Damp.
Rain coming.
Windy.
Maybe just the elliptical.
I decided to walk.

So, adorned in a sweatshirt and leggings
rather than my normal shorts and tank top,
off I went.
As I said, it was chilly - 62 degrees when I started out.
It was windy - sustained at 16 MPH with gusts.
Nonetheless, I worked up a sweat.

My route goes all directions.
It winds, twists, and turns.
So I may be headed west for a couple blocks,
then south for a half mile,
then east for a quarter mile,
and so forth.
Tonight, all told, I had a cross-wind for about three miles,
I had the wind at my back for about a mile,
and walked into the wind for about a mile.

One of the things I like about walking outdoors
in my area - mostly countryside -
is that it gives me time to think and pray.
It suddenly hit me.
"This is like Pastor Allan's sermon!"
Each direction presented it's own challenges and benefits.

While the back-wind was infinitely easier
and gave me the opportunity to quicken my pace,
it also whipped hair into my face,
which, to be honest,
I rather enjoy.
It is the easiest part of my walk!
I enjoy the scenery,
feel good about myself for being out there.

The cross-wind didn't push me forward,
but it also didn't push against me.
It took more concentration to keep my balance,
improving my core strength.
I still enjoyed the scenery on these sections,
but I also worked up a sweat here.

The head-wind slowed me down.
I had to lean into it.
And, especially when going up hill, 
it was difficult walking!
But it lifted my hair,
cooled my face,
worked my muscles harder.
It's not the easiest part of my walk,
no, it's the hardest part,
the part where I am most tempted to quit,
but it's the most beneficial.


Walking presents choices.
First, I have to choose to go.
Then, I have to choose to keep going.
I have to choose to turn that corner that will add a hill
and another half mile.
Every single day I have to make that choice.
And it's hard.
But I do it to strengthen my heart, my muscles, my endurance.
I do it for the sunshine and endorphines which help me keep depression at bay.
I do it because it makes me a little proud of myself -
in a good way.

And you know,
it's the same with serving Christ,
following Him no matter what!

Sometimes, the path is easy,
allows us to rest a minute,
pick up our pace,
enjoy the scenery.
It's easy to feel joy in the journey.

Sometimes, it's moderate,
allowing us to keep going pretty easily,
while still strengthening our core spiritually.
It's not as easy,
but neither is it terribly difficult,
and we still enjoy the scenery,
the benefits of the journey. 

Sometimes, it's flat hard,
excrutiating,
working those faith muscles.
We have to lean in,
concentrate on moving forward,
focus hard on God,
decide to keep on going.
 
But choosing to do it strengthens my spirit, my patience, my endurance.
Choosing to do it will strengthen yours!

Did I mention that while I was walking tonight,
I added an additional quarter mile to my walk
and increased my pace by seven seconds over Sunday,
and by three seconds over yesterday.
That doesn't sound like much.
But it's growth!
Measurable growth!
So I'll keep going!

Yes, Jesus, I'll keep going!


The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in Him,
and He helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
and with my song I praise Him.

                                                                 ~~ Psalm28:7 NIV ~~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.