Sunday, July 12, 2015

Blindsinded

One of the strange things about grief
is the suddenness of onset
and the things that trigger it.
You'll be going along,
doing well,
and suddenly, WHAM!
Blindsided.
Blindsides happen unexpectedly.
They don't happen on significant dates,
because one expects some sorrow on those days.
Blindsides happen unexpectedly,
out of nowhere.
Both my Lanny Love and I
were blindsided today.

His came first.
Someone he and his Judy knew several years ago
was at church today.
They didn't know Judy had died,
from a distance,
mistook me for her.
So, nearly two years later,
he had to say it again.
That's really hard!

Then tonight,
while singing at a retirement home,
I noticed a sweet little lady resident
whom Al and I had known.
When I went over to visit with her,
she made several comments about
my and Al's relationship.
And there they were.
Sudden tears.
Blindsided.

But in the midst of the tears,
joy!
What a blessing to be in a relationship
with someone who understands!
Someone who has been there,
who, sadly, is still there sometimes,
Someone to share, not just the joys of the now
and a future with,
but someone with whom to share the hurts of today,
and yesterday.

Before my blindside,
I told him what a joy and honor it is
to love and be loved by him.
After, when we were talking about our experiences,
I found myself thinking how much more true
that statement was than I realized even a few short hours earlier.

So, the sorrow and the joy
are mingled tonight.
What a blessing God has given!


The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in Him,
and He helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
and with my song I praise Him.

                                                                 ~~ Psalm28:7 NIV ~~



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.