Monday, January 9, 2023

A teabag

I hated that stinking teabag!!!
He left it on the counter.
    Every. 
                Single. 
                            Time.
Not just on the counter,
    Right. 
                Above. 
                            The trash compactor!
All he had to do was step on the foot release
and drop the teabag in the trash.
But no. 
He left it on the counter.
 
How I longed for that teabag 
in the early days of widowhood!!!
I determined in my heart that
should I ever be blessed to love and be loved again,
I would focus less on the teabag
and more on the man!
And, for the most part, I do.

I don't remember the last time my Al and I made love.
In the days of singleness,
I wished I could.
I determined then that,
should I ever be blessed to love and be loved again,
I would take note of love-making -
and other lovely relational things.
Every time.
And I do.
My Lanny Love thinks it's an oddity
that I remember "the last time".
It's one of many oddities... 
 
Isn't that humanity in a nutshell?
Don't we spend an inordinate amount of time
focusing on the teabags
and a pitifully minuscule amount of time
focusing on the love-making 
and other lovely relational things?
Not just in marriage and remarriage,
in all relationships!
Our society seems to have embraced
being offended, dissatisfied, unhappy.
We almost look with suspicion upon those who are different.
 
I am an emotion-based person.
As such, I sometimes (often)
have a hard time differentiating
between "real" and "feel".
I was annoyingly reminded of that self-fact
during a recent conversation with one of our daughters.
But as with all annoyances,
I am trying to learn and grow from the reminder. 
And choosing again
to focus on the lovely relational aspects
instead of the teabag. 
 
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. 
Fix your thoughts on what is 
true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. 
Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
                                        ~~ Philippians 4:8 NLT
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.