Saturday, May 13, 2017

I am a mom

I do not remember wanting anything in life
more than I wanted to be a mom.
I mothered my dolls.
I mothered my siblings.
I played house.

More than I wanted to be a nurse
during my Clara Barton phase.
More than I wanted to be a detective
during my Trixie Belden phase.
More than I wanted to be singer
during my Karen Carpenter or Sandi Patty phases.
More than I wanted to be an attorney or teacher or ....
whatever.
More than anything,
I wanted to be a mom!

And, joy of joys,
I am a mom!

But, this part of Mother's Day,
while my fondest dream come true,
is not without sorrows.
I struggled to get my two girls.
Seven pregnancies.
A still birth.
The loss of their precious daddy.
Sorrow.

But my dreams come true,
my sweet Chrys and her son-to-me, Craig,
and my sweet Kim and her son-to-me, Dusty,
(Oh, are the guys their husbands
not just my sons???
Whatever.....)
have brought indescribable joy to my life!!!
How I adore them!
From the moments I knew they were coming,
through the difficult pregnancies,
the moments of their births,
the first time they said "mama",
their first steps,
their first sassy talk (there was a LOT of that to follow...),
their first dates,
first formals,
their weddings,
their pregnancies,
from the very first moment,
I adored them!
I adore them still!

We have come to a fullness of relationship now.
No longer simply mother and daughters,
we are friends.
I confide in them,
and they in me.
During the early days of my grief,
they mothered me.
During my time of dating,
they supported me.
When I announced my engagement,
they thrilled with me -
and grieved with me that I was free to remarry.
We play together.
Sometimes we work together.
We disagree with one another sometimes.
We share life together.

And they are good, fine women!
They love God,
their husbands,
their children.
They loved their daddy and treated him with great respect.
They love their bonus dad and treat him with great respect.
And they love me and treat me with great respect!

And my sons-in-love!
Finer sons a mother-in-law could not want!
They treat me as their own!
And they are mine as surely as are Chrys and Kim!
They love me,
and I love them!

Yes, I am a mom!
I could not ask for finer dreams come true!
Thank you, God! You have truly blessed me!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.