Sunday, May 14, 2017

I am a daughter

I am a daughter.
And this is why we have Mother's Day.
Every single one of us is a daughter or son.
And this day is only one of two that are biblically insinuated.

"'Honor your father and mother.'
This is the first commandment with a promise'"
                                                                 ~~ Ephesians 6:2 NLT 

This is a day, set aside for honoring our mothers.
We have another for Father's next month.
I am very blessed to have had a mother who was easily honored.
Not everyone does, I know.
But that does not negate the fact that we are commanded to honor them.
Some simply must do it differently.

So, while we are to honor our parents daily,
today is a special day set aside for that purpose.
And today, I want to honor the mothers in my life.

My own mother has been in Heaven for just over 36 years.
I was not quite 24 when she died.
But what a mama she was for those 24 years!
The last nine years, she struggled with the ravages of cancer.
And before that, her life was difficult.
But what a woman of God she was - 
and became even more so over those cancer years!
She was not perfect.
She was a terrible housekeeper.
But that was because she worked long, hard hours to provide for her family.
And she spent time with us when she wasn't working.
She nursed us when we were sick.
She played with us when we were littles 
and as we aged, she continued to play with us, 
just differently.
She loved practical jokes and was very good at them!
She loved to sing and had a lovely, soprano voice.
She had a temper and there was no doubt when we'd pushed her buttons -
and we loved to push her buttons! 
She was a brilliant woman.
And she loved her children with her whole heart!
I miss her so much!

Al's mother has been in heaven for four years this month.
She was my "mom" for longer than my own mother was.
Even before we were married, she mothered me.
So, at the time of her death, she had been my mom for 42 years.
She was a helper and advisor and friend.
I called her mom from the day of our official engagement forward.
And she treated me like a daughter.
Sometimes that wasn't fun when she didn't approve of something I'd done,
but it made me know that I was hers!
She raised a good man who became a good husband and daddy!
She was a good mom and I miss her! 

My Grandma was a mom to me as well.
In my early childhood, she was a great grandma
but with my mother's cancer diagnosis,
she came to help and became a mom.
How she loved her daughter!
And how she loved her grandchildren!
She once saved my life when my mouth got me in trouble,
resulting in a smack on the bottom from my mother,
which may or may not have resulted in an impulsive smack back from me.
This is not something I would recommend!
Anyway, Grandma saved my life that day I am certain.
At the same time, I knew undoubtedly that she was disappointed.
And that really hurt for I never, ever wanted to disappoint my grandma.
Grandma went to Heaven three years ago today.
I miss her!

My other grandmother was a preacher's wife.
And she always smelled of leather and juicy fruit gum.
She was a gentle, loving woman.
She taught me to sing hymns from memory,
to memorize scripture,
and that prayer and time with God was really important!
I always wanted to be like her when I grew up.
She has been in Heaven for nearly 43 years
and I miss her!

My mom's best friend, Karen, was a mother to me.
She was and is a trusted friend and advisor.
She is fun and funny and a joy to know!
I love her deeply!

I had several step-moms but the last, Jackie,
was a treasure!
I cherished our friendship and the hope she gave me for my dad.
She has been in Heaven for seven years.
I miss her.

Finally, my new mom.
What a blessing my Lanny Love's mother is to me!
She raised her son in such a way as to provide his children
with a wonderful daddy,
and me with a wonderful husband.
And she has opened her heart and her arms to me,
welcomed me wholly and completely into her heart.
Not only me, but my children and grandchildren are hers now as well!
She is a wonderful, godly example of the Proverbs 31 woman!
I love her so much and pray for many, many more years to enjoy her!
So, I have been blessed in my life with Godly, loving women
who have mothered me.
They have each and every one helped to mold me
into the woman I am today. 
Without their influence, direction, and love,
my life would be vastly different.
It is my joy, my privilege, 
to honor them today!

Thank you, Lord, for so blessing me!



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.