Monday, April 11, 2022

Autumn


Today, I am Medicare years old.
I have entered the autumn of my life.

I love the seasons God has given us!
 
Springtime when everything is new,
there is growth and beauty all around us
as the springs begin to flow once again,
the trees put on buds, then fresh, green leaves,
flowers bloom and spread their fragrance,
the grass becomes once again soft and plush,
birds begin to sing, baby creatures appear.
I love spring!
 
Then summer,
long days filled with warmth and sun,
a lazy rhythm that strums along on its own,
vacations and family and fun,
beaches and pools, roller skates and bicycles,
balmy evenings under starlit skies.
I love summer!
 
Autumn with its crisp coolness,
vibrant colors and pungent scents,
bonfires and homecoming and football,
fireplaces and candles, 
warm stews and soups and breads,
cozy blankets and soft sweaters.
I love Autumn!
 
Finally, winter,
its contrasts of stark blacks against pure white,
revealed shapes and twists of interest in the trees,
snowball fights and sledding and ice skating,
hot chocolate and spiced cider,
holidays and home and family.
I love winter!
 
Each of the seasons with an assigned time,
but each encroaches upon the others.
Sudden blasts of winter in the autumn and spring.
Days that feel unbearably hot in the moderate temperatures
of spring and autumn.
Unusually cool respites in the early and late days of summer.
 
By the end of each season,
we are seeing less of the beauty and more of the contentious:
spring winds and rain;
     summer's blistering heat;
        autumn's decay and slow death of summer's beauty;
            winters bitter cold and icy winds.
Our focus has shifted.

So it is with the seasons of life.
In each of the seasons, some of the others encroach.
Our spring time is filled with wonder and laughter,
but as we grow, responsibility begins to creep in.
Summer finds its rhythm and flows along,
until an icy blast of winter or the flaming heat of summer
knocks us off our feet.
Autumn beauty and peaceful reverie loses its charm
as we begin to notice the decay in aching joints and sagging skin.
And winter contrasts and reverie give way
to the shortness of the days and creeping night.

I am new to autumn.
I am still seeing only the vibrant colors,
smelling only the bonfires and warm bread,
relishing the mild days and cool evenings.
I do see it.
I know it's there,
the decay.
But I choose not to look at it as a loss.
Instead, I am choosing to focus on
the opportunity to rake crisp, crunchy leaves
and jump into the pile I created!
 
Today I am 65.
I have reached autumn.
Some never have that privilege.
Today, as I reached autumn,
my great grandson entered spring,
born on his great grandma's birthday.
I get to watch him grow,
watch his mommy and daddy as they approach summer,
watch his grandma and grandpa enjoying the lazy days of mid-summer.
 
I love autumn!




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.