Friday, February 17, 2017

Lost Diamonds

Shortly after my Al was diagnosed with terminal cancer,
the diamond in my engagement ring fell out.
We looked everywhere and couldn't find it.
I was heartbroken.
Not only was the symbol of our love gone,
it felt like an omen.

And then a miracle happened!
My best girl friend dropped by
and on her way out the door,
she spotted my diamond,
glittering in the welcome mat at the front door.
I was thrilled!
But, to be honest, it didn't feel like an omen.
And it wasn't.

We had the diamond remounted,
we were assured it was secure.
Just six months after his death,
it fell out again
and was permanently lost.
I cried buckets!
And I just didn't understand!
I have to admit,
I yelled at God in bitter disappointment
and anger
and heartache. 
He had taken my Al, I said,
and now He had taken my diamond
that had set on my finger for nearly 40 years.
I'd have been upset if Al had been alive and well.
But he was dead and I was devastated!

Habakkuk felt the way I felt that day.
He cried out to the Lord.
Asked how long
God was going to allow suffering
and do nothing about it!
He was bitterly disappointed in the state of things.
And he said so.
And then God answered!
"Watch and be utterly amazed
for I am going to do something
in your day
that you would not believe
if you were told!"

                                        ~~ Habakkuk 1:5

"Utterly amazed"
Isn't that just the most awesome thing!
God is in the business of utter amazement!
In the devastation that is sometimes part of life -
thanks to satan -
God has a plan!
And it IS an amazing plan!
While we may never understand the devastation -
I will never understand why my diamond is gone,
or why people get sick,
or why they die -
God is in the midst of it!
And He is doing something
you wouldn't believe even if you were told!




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.