Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day

Today is Father's Day.
So, predictably, I'd like to talk about the fathers in my life.

The "Dads"

My own father and I had a strained relationship.
One of the greatest things I grieved at his death
was the fact that there would never be a chance
to have the type of relationship I always dreamed of.
But, despite our differences,
I loved him.
And, he loved me as best he knew how.
I loved my dad's wit and sense of humor.
I loved his charm.
I loved his intelligence.
I loved his gifts of words and music.
I loved his cooking.
(Sorry, my Lanny Love, that gene got passed to my brother.)
I loved his creativity.
There were many wonderful things about my father.
I love you and miss you, Dad.
I hope you made it!

My father-in-law was my dad.
I never called him anything else.
He could be gruff and hard to take.
He spoke truth.
Bluntly.
And I knew he loved me 
because he spoke truth to me too.
I didn't get company treatment.
I got the same as the rest of his kids.
He was generous, even if it meant giving til it hurt.
He was the third best grandpa I ever knew -
behind my own grandpa and my sweet Al.
He wasn't educated,
but he was very, very smart!
And he loved and cared for and protected his family!
And what a looker he was -
even as he aged, he was strikingly handsome.
In many ways, he was more my dad than my own father.
I love you and miss you, Dad!
You were one of a kind!

My Grandpa

My grandpa was the second best grandpa I ever knew.
He was a wonderful man!
He loved and doted on his grandkids.
I'm pretty sure he knew we could do wrong,
but he never mentioned it!
He was one of the most Godly men I have ever known!
His example of Christ-likeness often kept me on the straight and narrow.
He was wise and, 
when asked,
gave sound advice.
When not asked,
he prayed.
And he comforted when things went wrong.
His example of loving his mate was the example I used -
and am still using -
to select a husband.
I wanted a man like my grandpa! 
I love you and miss you, Grandpa!
Thank you for being a positive constant in my life!

My Sons

I don't have sons-in-law.
I have sons.
They are the two finest examples of sons a mom could hope for
for her daughters and grandchildren!
They are good husbands!
They are good daddies!
They are good sons!
They work hard to provide for my daughters and grandchildren!
They are there for me at the drop of a hat!
I love you, Craig and Dusty!
My daughters are blessed to have you!
And so am I!

My Husband

My Alfie.
The very best daddy I ever knew!
The very best papa I ever knew!
He loved our girls with a passion and appropriateness
that I had never witnessed.
He was attentive.
He disciplined in love and kindness.
He was not a push-over when it mattered,
but those girls had him wrapped around their little fingers!
Daddy was the one they asked first when they didn't think I'd say yes
because they knew he wanted them to have everything they wanted
regardless of what it may cost him personally.
He worked hard to provide for not only their needs,
but most of their wants.
He played with them.
He worked with them.
He taught them.
He learned from them.
He was fun.
And funny.
And one of the four most Godly men I have ever known.
And he loved their mama
and showed them what to look for in a mate
by his example!
Al taught me about the love of our Heavenly Father.
I never understood it until I saw him with our children.
Then, yes, only then, it became clear to me.
And my, oh my, how he loved those grandchildren!
He was "Big Papa" and loved it!
He enjoyed having his grandchildren around!
He loved playing with them!
He loved seeing them grow and change.
He loved teasing their frustrated mama's about how
he "once had a kid like that."
I love and miss you, my Alfie!
I always will!

My Lanny Love

I do not share children with Lanny.
I did not know him, witness him raising his children.
But I see the love he has for them.
And more importantly,
I see the love and respect they have for him!
And I see the love and respect he has for their mama.
And I know that my children and grandchildren are safe with him.
I know that I am safe with him.
One of the four most Godly men I have ever known,
thank You, Lord, for blessing me so a second time!
I love you, Lanny!
I always will.

Happy Father's Day to the dads in my life!
God has richly blessed me!
And I am grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.