Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Happy Anniversary...

Anniversaries for widowed people are difficult for their friends.
Even for those who have themselves walked widowhood.
 
I never know how to acknowledge it.
"Happy anniversary" isn't right,
they aren't "happy" 
because their anniversary partner isn't here.
Ignoring it isn't right,
that makes them feel even more alone
like their spouse has been forgotten by others.
Acknowledging it the way you did last year isn't right,
each year is so different.
Last year's comfort
is sometimes this year's salt in the wound
and vice versa.
As time goes on,
the day may even finally pass by unnoticed,
and a reminder may be unappreciated.
And yet, one wants the door to remembering conversation
open wide if they choose to walk through it.
Don't make them knock,
they probably won't;
and don't push them through if they don't want to go.
So what is a person to do?
 
This year,
this is my only acknowledgement.
I'm thinking of you, my Love,
I'm praying that this day is filled with
    sweet memories,
        secret smiles,
            sad happiness,
                and profound gratitude for the years you shared
as you commemorate the day.
 
 I remember the days of old; 
I meditate on all Your works; 
I muse on the work of Your Hand.
                ~~ Psalm 143:5 NKJV ~~
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.