Tuesday, March 28, 2023

yellow roses...

 Yellow roses were my mom's favorite.
On that morning 42 years ago today
when her children chose her flowers,
yellow roses blanketed her casket.

Today, my Lanny Love,
who never had the privilege of meeting her,
remembered me placing a yellow rose on her headstone
and bought me yellow roses in her memory.

This is the kind of thing that make the unique difficulties
that may accompany remarriage from widowhood worthwhile!
Today my heart has been tender with the heaviness of March.
Today, my Lanny Love,
whose own heart has experienced 
the newness found in the midst of longevity in grief,
understood my tenderness and easy tears
when talking about a dog and my children.
He understood that it was not about the dog,
it was about it being March
and the third of three hard days in this month.
And he remembered the yellow rose.
 
Love is a wonderful thing!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.