Tuesday, July 12, 2022

What will they say about me?

Because of our ministry,
my Lanny Love and I attend quite a few funerals.
I am always fascinated by how well
a person is reflected in the funeral service.
Now, I realize the pedestal upon which the dead are placed
can make them more saintly than they are,
but I have been to the funerals of people who had touched others
not for their betterment.
Pedestals are really not all that elevating
when it comes right down to it and
eulogies are pretty accurate in the end.
I often walk away from a funeral thinking,
"When my time comes,
I hope they say that about me!"
 
Recently, we attended the funeral of
someone my Lanny Love knew
but whom I had never met.
And more than ever before,
this funeral made me wonder
"What will they say about me?"
 
You see, when they were finished,
I felt her loss!
This woman I did not know,
        had never met,
                and I felt her loss!
Not just on behalf of the family,
        not just on behalf of her friends,
                not just on behalf of a world
                now less loving because she is not in it,
I felt a personal sense of loss!
I felt that my life would have been better
had she been a part of it,
and my life has been touched by her in her death.
 
It made me wonder.
Is my life is such that
a stranger might one day feel my loss?
Am I so godly a woman,
    so lovingly kind,
        so compassionate,
            so thoughtful,
                so good,
                    so joyful,
                        so patient,
                            so forgiving,
                                so gentle,
                                    so self-controlled
that one day a stranger might think about me,
"My life would have been better with her in it
and my life is changed because words of her
have touched it!"

So, what will people say about me
when I'm gone?
I think our eternity is pretty dependent 
upon the answer to that question
because our lives are generally
an accurate reflection of the Holy Spirit in us.

May I so closely follow Christ
that my eulogy
is a description of Him!

Whoever says that he lives in God must live as Jesus lived.
                                            ~~ I John 2:6 NCV ~~
 
So all of us who have had that veil removed 
can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. 
And the Lord - who is the Spirit - 
makes us more and more like him 
as we are changed into his glorious image.
                                                    ~~ 2 Corinthians 3:18 NLT ~~
 
But the fruit of the Spirit is 
love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, 
goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control... 
                                                ~~ Galations 5:22-23 ESV ~~ 
 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.