Sunday, June 13, 2021

Planning a funeral


Have you ever planned a funeral?
I have.
Several times.
There are the logistics.
Picking a funeral home, coffin, burial site.
Choosing the songs, scripture, poems.
Meeting with the minister.
 
 
Meeting with the minister.
Telling the stories that make you weep with laughter
and those that make you weep with loss.
Hearing the wonderful stories of the other family members and friends,
the stories you didn't know
of how the life of your loved one changed the lives of so many. 

I've always kind of thought that it would be interesting
to be like Huck Finn - "drop in" on my own funeral.
Or like Sophia Patrillo and throw my own wake -
then show up as a late arriving guest from the room where I had been listening in.
But while they got to hear all the wonderful things people said about them,
the situations didn't really turn out in their favor,
so maybe not...

But today, as I have said farewell to someone important in my life
(through a move to another city, not through death)
I found myself wondering.
 
Why do we wait until we have lost someone 
to tell them how much we love, admire, and respect them, 
how very important they are to us? 
 
Since Al's death,
I have worked diligently to correct that fault in myself.
One of the things my moving friend said to me this week
was how he and his wife had appreciated my kind words and encouraging notes
over the past several years.
It made me glad that I had made the effort to let them know!

Today, I'd like to challenge you to look at your people.
I'd like you to think about what you would say about them at their funeral,
then I'd like to encourage you to say it to them
while they are still here!

Plan a funeral.
Or two.
Or a dozen.....

“Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God.” 
~~ 1 John 4:7 ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.