Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Beauty from ashes

I have a situation.
It is an ongoing relational issue
with an individual about whom I care deeply.
One I cannot fix or change.
Believe me, I have tried!

I recently thought that progress had been made.
Apparently not.
I have been so hopeful and clinging to
the tiniest indication of improved relationship.
And I have found myself
incredibly sad today.

Then the Lord,
my faithful Comforter,
reminded me of a number of things.

I have a grandchild
who was conceived outside of marriage.
Those of you who read me regularly can guess that,
even if our daughter had not been just 17,
this was not news we would have relished.
We were heartbroken.
And excited.

A few years ago,
I had become restless at a job.
I liked the people I worked with,
there were no real issues,
I simply was restless.
Along came an unsolicited invitation
to apply for a newly created position with another company
at a significant increase in pay
and with a title I had longed for
and worked toward for several years.
I interviewed, was offered and accepted said job.
I hated it!
And, just six months later,
the position was eliminated and I was unemployed.
I was devastated.
And overjoyed.

Nearly six years ago,
I learned that I would soon be widowed.
Eight months and three days later,
I was.
"Heartbroken"
and
"Devastated"
don't even begin to touch where I was.
For many, many months,
I was not sure I would recover.
Or that I wanted to.
But I did survive.
And eventually thrived.
God carried me through
to acceptance, hope, healing,
and new life. 

There have been many, many other
disappointments and hurts in my life.
And in all of them,
He has carried me through,
brought beauty from ashes.

Because of the heartache of teenage pregnancy,
I have a marvelous grandson who has brought
immeasurable joy to our lives!

Because I lost my job,
I went to work for a place doing a job I loved,
but I would never, ever, ever
have considered applying for the position
I so cherished from any other job I ever held!

God's infinite mercy and grace
brought my sweet Lanny Love and I
out of agonizing grief
and into a delightful, joyous, loving marriage.

Why do bad things happen?
I don't really understand why.
But this I do understand!
Nothing,
absolutely nothing,
happens in our lives
that has not passed by Him first.

I don't understand this current relationship heartache.
But I understand this.
God knows all about it.
And there will be beauty from these ashes!

He will give a crown of beauty for ashes,
a joyous blessing instead of mourning,
festive praise instead of despair.
                                                          ~~ Isaiah 61:3 NLT 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.