Friday, October 6, 2023

The coffee smelled like Al this morning...

No, Al did not smell like coffee,
nonetheless, the coffee this morning 
smelled like my Al.
 
He was a coffee connoisseur
and a coffee snob.
He loved Colombian coffee
and in particular MJB brand.
It was the only coffee in our home.
 
My Lanny Love and I also love coffee,
especially Colombian.
Though we are not exclusive to it
and we primarily use whole beans,
I still love MJB which, unfortunately, is not available in whole beans.
This morning I opened a new can
and it immediately took me back to that long ago kitchen.
It smelled like Al.
 
I have missed him heavily lately.
It has become normal,
missing him more as I remember the last effort to save that autumn -
despite being told it would not save, only possibly extend and
hopefully provide comfort, still, I clung to hope... -
and the closer we come to the holidays...
and then the month of his death. 
 
This morning, the smell of a fresh can of MJB was overwhelming.....
 
Place me like a seal over your heart, 
like a seal on your arm. 
For love is as strong as death, 
its jealousy as enduring as the grave. 
Love flashes like fire, the brightest kind of flame.
                ~~ Song of Songs 8:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.