Monday, May 25, 2020

Frozen Moments in Time

Isn't it funny the things that stick in your mind?
We went to Calico County.
I remember where we sat.
I remember, word for word,
a piece of our conversation:

"I don't know what's wrong,
but he's dying."

We were talking about our husbands.
Because, you know,
that's what best friends do over lunch.
It's what we still do over lunch.
But that day sticks in my mind.
Clearly.

It was a half work day.
We lingered.
Then I went home and took a nap.
At about 4:00, he woke me
and asked to be taken to the ER
where a few hours later
we heard the words.
"Mr. Garrett, you do have cancer."
Just like that.
The world stopped spinning.
The stars fell from the sky.

Time froze twice that day.

This morning,
eight years later,
I am once again frozen in that place.
I woke this morning with the memories.
I will carry them through my day.
I will likely fall asleep with them tonight.

But tonight, I will sleep, rest,
wake in the morning to the wonderfully renewed life
with which God has blessed me.
Time will thaw once again,
continue it's forward movement.

I need to say this.
Love causes grief.
Both are lasting!
But both are changed over time.
One is forever.
One is not.

My love for Al was completed that day
eight months and three days later
when he went Home.
It was not ended!
It reached it's earthly completion.
Love is forever!
It will never end!

My grief was only beginning on that day.
It will not only be completed with the return of Christ,
on that wonderful day,
IT WILL END!
Praise God!!!

Today is Memorial Day.
Today, many are remembering 
frozen moments in time.
May God bless us each with sweet memories,
may He soften the grief,
and may the love shine brightly
as we all remember.

Thank you, Daddy God,
that love does not die!


He will wipe every tear from their eyes.
There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain,
for the old order of things has passed away.
Revelation 21:4


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you prefer that your comment not be made public, please so indicate. I am happy to reply privately if you include an email address.